[cryptography] iPhone keeps record of everywhere you go

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 18:04:24 EDT 2011

http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/
http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/04/apple-location-tracking.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/20/iphone-tracking-prompts-privacy-fears

Apple can legitimately claim that it has permission to collect the data:
near the end of the 15,200-word terms and conditions for its iTunes
program, used to synchronise with iPhones, iPods and iPads, is an
86-word paragraph about "location-based services".

It says that "Apple and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and
share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location
of your Apple computer or device. This location data is collected
anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used
by Apple and our partners and licensees to provide and improve
location-based products and services. For example, we may share
geographic location with application providers when you opt in to their
location services."