[Botan-announce] Botan 1.5.7

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Sun May 28 01:32:03 EDT 2006

Tonight I've pushed out a new release of the development tree (1.5.7).
The most notable change, code-wise, are a set of fairly major API
alterations to the DER/BER encoders. However unless you use those
directly (and I don't think anyone is) you will not notice this,
however it significantly improves the readability and maintainability
of the codebase. The Visual C++ x86 assembler module has been dropped
for the time being; there were some trivial compilation problems there
in the last release, but there also seem to be some bugs causing test
suite failures that I don't have the time or energy to track down at
the moment.

I'm now using Monotone (http://venge.net/monotone) for version control
for Botan, and a server allowing anonymous access is running at
randombit.net (the branch is unsurprisingly called
net.randombit.botan). This will allow the curious/adventurous among
you to follow the bleeding edge, if you are so inclined.

This release has been tested on FC4/gcc4 and Win2K/VC7.1 on x86; I
don't anticipate problems on the other 'usual' platforms, but you
never know.

Jack