[Botan-announce] Botan 1.7.6 released

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Mon May 5 11:43:06 EDT 2008

Hi,

This is less of a release than a relatively stable checkpoint, but
I've realized I am unlikely to get much more done with Botan in the
next month or so and wanted to get this out there so people can take a
look.

The primary changes in this release is the removal of (portions of)
the global shared state, for various reasons I'll be explaning in a
blog post I have half-written but not yet cleaned up and posted.

The other major change is (partial) support for Windows DLL
builds. All public Botan symbols (more or less, some may be missing)
are now tagged with a macro BOTAN_DLL, which allows tagging with
dllemport/dllexport info, or (with GCC) the visibility attribute.
This will allow building Windows DLLs, and (if implemented fully for
Unix) has numerous benefits on ELF platforms in terms of .so load
times and binary size. The patch for BOTAN_DLL macros was contributed
by Joel Low. Longer term, what I want to do (for Unix) is split up the
shared and static lib builds entirely, and compile the objects going
into the shared lib with -fvisibility=hidden when compiling with GCC,
and then explicitly export the symbols that should be visible to
applications using the visiblity attribute through the BOTAN_DLL
macro. [Patches welcome! :)]

Regards,
  Jack