[Botan-announce] Botan 1.6.5 and 1.7.9 released

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Wed Aug 27 16:56:38 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

Botan 1.6.5 and 1.7.9 were released today:

* 1.6.5, 2008-08-27
 - Add noexec stack marker for GNU linker in assembly code
 - Fix autoconfiguration problem on x86 with GCC 4.2 and 4.3

1.6.5 has only a few small changes compared to 1.6.4. Several distro
packagers had requested adding the non-executable stack flags for GNU
systems in the assembly code, which is included. In addition, the
script did not realize that GCC 4.2 and 4.3 require -fpermissive to
compile on 32-bit systems.

* 1.7.9, 2008-08-27
 - Make clear() in most algorithm base classes a pure virtual
 - Add noexec stack marker for GNU linker in assembly code
 - Avoid string operations in ressol
 - Compilation fixes for MinGW and Visual Studio C++ 2008
 - Some autoconfiguration fixes for Windows

The most noticable change in 1.7.9 is that Windows autoconfiguration
and building work (more or less) out of the box on Windows XP with
Visual C++ and MinGW.

Both releases were tested with GCC and Intel C++ on Linux/x86-64 and
GCC (MinGW) and Visual Studio C++ on Windows XP/x86. Please send build
reports for inclusion in http://botan.randombit.net/builds.html, it is
really useful for everyone to know what is/is not being tested.

I am currently available for contract work, either specifically for
Botan development or generally security, crypto, or development
projects. If you are interested, contact me offlist.

Regards,
  Jack