[Botan-announce] First release candidate for new stable branch 1.10

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Mon Mar 21 09:33:26 EDT 2011

I've decided to branch development to a stable, mostly bugfix series
versioned 1.10.x. It's likely some new features will be added over the
branch lifetime, but no major internals work. In particular, that
means 1.10's SSL/TLS interface will be a blocking,
thread-per-connection kind of operation. I think an event-driven
interface (possibly with a blocking interface built on top) would be
superior, but don't have time to work on it. I'd be happy to assist
anyone who has an interest in doing this work on a branch.

To that end, I've released 1.9.15 and declare it the first release
candidate for version 1.10.0

There have been a number of new enhancements in this cycle:

 Reasonably complete support for SSL/TLS (up to TLS v1.1)

 SIMD execution of block ciphers in parallel modes like CTR and XTS
 (for Serpent, IDEA, Noekeon, XTEA, and AES-NI)

 New constant time AES implementations using SSSE3 (for Core2, Atom),
 and Intel's new AES-NI (Westmere processors only).

 GOST 34.10-2001 signature scheme (Russian ECC signature standard)

 Keccak hash function (SHA-3 finalist)

 Bcrypt password hashing (OpenBSD)

 NIST's AES key wrapping algorithm (RFC 3394)

 Threshold secret sharing

 Format preserving encryption

 Comb4P hash function combiner

 New amalgamation build option (compile the entire library, under any
 configuration, to 1 header and 1 source file)

Pony rides and ice cream cones for everyone!

Download links at http://botan.randombit.net/download.html

Please test this release on any platforms you are interested in and
report any results for the build log
(http://botan.randombit.net/builds.html) - positive results are just
as useful as negative ones!

Thanks,