[Botan-announce] 1.9.18: SSL for Visual Studio, ECC optimizations, portability fixes

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Fri Jun 3 09:53:44 EDT 2011

This latest release (the fourth and, once again, hopefully final
release candidate for 1.10) includes new support for compiling the SSL
implementation using Visual Studio 2010's TR1 implementation, and a
number of new ECC optimizations.

Many new ECC optimizations are available, in many cases improving
performance by 20 to 50% over the last release. I would like to thank
the anonymous donor who sent me a copy of the Handbook of Elliptic and
Hyperelliptic Curve Cryptography (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1584885181)
from my Amazon wishlist (http://amzn.com/w/2RSENVDI05C8A). This was a
major inspiration and resource for this new work, and I'd like to
thank them for their generous support.

A bug in the GOST 34.10 signature verification meant that an invalid
signature could cause an unexpected exception to be thrown from the EC
point arithmetic code. This has the potential for denial of service,
and anyone using GOST 34.10 signatures should upgrade as soon as
possible.

The SSE2 implementation of IDEA now works correctly under the Clang
compiler - it turns out that Clang assumes that even SSE2 signed
operations do not overflow, and optimizes accordingly. In contrast
most other compilers, like GCC, only seem to make this assumption for
scalar values (at least as of the latest release).

New standalone functions for base64 decoding have been added, and the
Base64_Decoder filter is defined in terms of them.

Bugs causing compilation and installation problems on Solaris have
been fixed. Other bugs in BigInt::get_substring and hex_encode were
also fixed.

To support concurrent installation of different versions, the header
files are now installed into {prefix}/include/botan-1.9/botan, and
pkg-config will tell you to include {prefix}/include/botan-1.9. The
soname scheme has also changed (details in the change notes), and
botan-config is called botan-config-1.9, and will be botan-config-1.10
in 1.10.x.

You can read the full release notes at
http://botan.randombit.net/log.html#version-1-9-18-2011-06-03 and get
the source at http://botan.randombit.net/download.html. Windows
binaries are not yet available but should be up later today.

I'm currently planning in releasing 1.10.0 on June 19th, giving two
weeks plus an extra weekend for review.

Regards,
  Jack