[Botan-announce] Intent to deprecate/remove MSVC 2013 support

Jack Lloyd jack at randombit.net
Thu Apr 26 12:52:53 EDT 2018

Currently Botan 2.x has many compatability hacks specifically to handle bugs in
MSVC 2013. In addition there are certain C++11 features (notably constexpr) we
must avoid completely, due to 2013 not supporting them.

I plan on deprecating and eventually removing MSVC 2013 support in Botan.
The current plan is:

 - 2.7.0 (July 2018): Add a build time warning (in configure.py output) if 2013 is detected
 - 2.8.0 (October 2018): Forcing acknowledgement of deprecation at build time
         (ie forcing user to provide a flag like --i-know-msvc-2013-support-is-deprecated)
 - 2.9.0 (Jan 2019): MSVC 2013 support removed, constexpr allowed

The library will continue to use C++11. Visual C++ 2015 and 2017 will remain
completely supported. The minimum version requirements for GCC and Clang remain
unchanged.

Feel free to email me with any questions or concerns. There is also a Github issue
tracking this - https://github.com/randombit/botan/issues/1557

Jack