[Botan-announce] Botan 2.10.0 released
jack at randombit.net
Sat Mar 30 09:03:47 EDT 2019
I'm pleased to announce Botan 2.10.0 has been released. Notable changes include
- A new certificate store using the macOS keychain interface.
- Redesigned Memory_Pool implementation which is faster and has improved
- Optimizations for SHA-512 and SHA-3
- Added a Thread_Pool class. This is currently being used for XMSS signatures
(instead of spawning new threads each use, improving performance by 10%-60%),
and for the test suite. Pass --test-threads=N to botan-test to enable using N
threads. The speedup is roughly linear up to the number of CPU cores.
- Enable use of arc4random on Android systems and getentropy on macOS
- Add base58 command line utilities.
Plus many smaller bug fixes and new features documented in the release notes at
Thank you to all 9 external contributors who sent patches for this release.
Two warnings about upcoming changes:
- Currently XMSS signatures implements draft-06. Unfortunately it turns out
that the final RFC differed from draft-06. There is a PR open to change
XMSS to the RFC version. Right now we are operating on the assumption that
nobody is using XMSS in production and this is safe to apply. If you
are using Botan's XMSS in production please comment at
- Currently releases are compressed with gzip. We are planning on moving to xz
starting with the next release. If you believe this to be a problem please
comment at https://github.com/randombit/botan/issues/1872
More information about the botan-announce