[Botan-announce] Botan 2.10.0 released

Jack Lloyd jack at randombit.net
Sat Mar 30 09:03:47 EDT 2019

I'm pleased to announce Botan 2.10.0 has been released. Notable changes include

 - A new certificate store using the macOS keychain interface.

 - Redesigned Memory_Pool implementation which is faster and has improved
   exploit mitigations.

 - Optimizations for SHA-512 and SHA-3

 - Added a Thread_Pool class. This is currently being used for XMSS signatures
   (instead of spawning new threads each use, improving performance by 10%-60%),
   and for the test suite. Pass --test-threads=N to botan-test to enable using N
   threads. The speedup is roughly linear up to the number of CPU cores.

 - Enable use of arc4random on Android systems and getentropy on macOS

 - Add base58 command line utilities.

Plus many smaller bug fixes and new features documented in the release notes at
https://botan.randombit.net/news.html#version-2-10-0-2019-03-30

Thank you to all 9 external contributors who sent patches for this release.

Two warnings about upcoming changes:

 - Currently XMSS signatures implements draft-06. Unfortunately it turns out
   that the final RFC differed from draft-06. There is a PR open to change
   XMSS to the RFC version. Right now we are operating on the assumption that
   nobody is using XMSS in production and this is safe to apply. If you
   are using Botan's XMSS in production please comment at
   https://github.com/randombit/botan/pull/1858

 - Currently releases are compressed with gzip. We are planning on moving to xz
   starting with the next release. If you believe this to be a problem please
   comment at https://github.com/randombit/botan/issues/1872

https://botan.randombit.net/releases/Botan-2.10.0.tgz
https://botan.randombit.net/releases/Botan-2.10.0.tgz.asc
SHA-256 88481997578c27924724fea76610d43d9f59c99edfe561d41803bbc98871ad31

Enjoy,
 Jack