[Botan-devel] mux_win32 missing?

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Sat Jan 1 15:11:24 EST 2005

Hi Elliot,

Unfortunately, no such module exists. Well, that is not exactly true. A company
sent me a bunch of modules for use on Windows, but we never cleared up the
copyright stuff, so I don't want to risk distributing them. It's easy to code,
but you're the first person who has wanted it, as far as I know.

I don't have a Windows machine handy at the moment, but you basically want
something like:

class Win32_Mutex : public Botan::Mutex
   {
   public:
      void lock() { EnterCriticalSection(&mux); }
      void unlock() { LeaveCriticalSection(&mux); }
      Mutex* clone() const { return new Win32_Mutex; }

      Win32_Mutex() { InitializeCriticalSection(&mux); }
      ~Win32_Mutex() { DeleteCriticalSection(&mux); }
   private:
      CRITICAL_SECTION mux;
   };

which I have not tested at all, but it looks OK, and it's at least close enough
to give you the idea. Then call 'Botan::Init::set_mutex(new Win32_Mutex);'
(before creating the LibraryInitializer), and don't pass thread_safe as an
argument.

That should handle everything, but let me know if you run into problems. BTW,
was I the only one who didn't see this message until today? I'm wondering if
there is something screwy with Mailman.

-Jack