[Botan-devel] Error building on windows

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Wed May 25 13:57:15 EDT 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 11:51:44AM -0600, Chris Garrett wrote:
> Hi Jack,
>
> I tried a simple project with <string> and it works. This is the first I
> have seen of this error. I will look thru the source this afternoon and
> see if I can find what exactly is going on.

I have seen variations on this problem on several platforms, a typical reason
is that the system's C library defines something as a macro, and then when the
libstd++ header tries to pull it in with

using ::somefunction;

the macro expands, causing mass confusion. It might be worthwhile to attempt to
run a compile with -E and look at the preprocessed output. It's an annoyingly
large amount of code but if something like a macro substituion is happening
inside that header, it will be fairly obvious.

> BTW, I succesfully build on Mac with the dumb-gcc flag. It works well. I
> really appreciate that you respond to the newsgroup so quickly. I have
> been using crypto++ for three or four months and have had some problems
> with platform support. I have posted on their list serveral times and
> received no response at all. This is a nice change.....

No problem, just hope the fix what you're seeing on Windows isn't too hard to
find. :/