[Botan-devel] Botan 1.4.7 VC7 probs... halp? :)

Rachel Blackman seattlesparks at mac.com
Mon Oct 3 20:46:05 EDT 2005

So, I have a situation where I need a cryptography library to work
under both Windows and Linux.  Happy day, I stumble across Botan, and
this pleases me greatly: it seems to meet all my needs perfectly, and
even has a comparatively sane API.  (A sadly rare thing these days.)

So I download, and unpack, and it compiles fine on Linux (and also on
the Mac OS X box I use for most UNIX dev).  But... not quite so much on
Windows.  With Visual Studio .NET 2003, I run configure just fine, and
it's building along happily, and runs into:

src\cast128.cpp(131) : error C2326: 'Botan::byte
Botan::CAST_128::key_schedule::ByteReader::operator ()(Botan::u32bit)'
: function cannot access 'Botan::get_byte'

...and NMAKE (unsurprisingly) coughs up a hairball and dies.  What does
surprise me is that get_byte has been getting used in a number of other
BlockCipher subclasses which compiled just fine before this point in
the make routine.

So, before I crack open too many source files to track down what
happened, I thought I'd toss off a note to see if anyone's familiar
with this one. :)

--
Rachel 'Sparks' Blackman -- sysadmin, developer, mad scientist
"If it is not broken, give me five minutes to redesign it!"