[Botan-devel] Botan 1.4.7 VC7 probs... halp? :)

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Mon Oct 3 22:03:47 EDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 06:54:32PM -0700, Rachel Blackman wrote:
> >That error message is awfully strange - that function certainly
> >exists, and it doesn't look like a namespace issue. I wonder what is
> >going on with this...
>
> I figured it was one of those 'VC7: Missing the Mark by Millimeters
> Where ISO C++ Is Concerned'  (or 'VC7: Just Close Enough to the
> Standard to Drive You Mad') type of issues.

This is actually the first time I've run into any real problems with
2000/2003. VC6 was always a total mess, but starting with 2000 it seemed to
handle most things fairly well.

> What really bewildered me is that AES -- which has already compiled
> fine by that point in the build process -- also calls the function, and
> descends from BlockCipher.  I poked around in both while waiting for an
> answer and -- at least on skimming -- I really can't see any namespace
> or scope issues that would affect CAST_128 and not AES!

I figure it has to be due to the use of the nested class, which does, I
believe, place the call into a slightly different scope from the ones used
elsewhere. However, that scope should be able to access the function just fine,
so it still doesn't really make any sense.