[Botan-devel] Why Pooling_Allocator?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Oct 14 19:15:00 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 06:31:38PM -0400, Jack Lloyd wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 03:43:11AM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>
> > Profiling showed that the problem was that our code was spending >96%
> > of all CPU time in Pooling_Allocator::deallocate.  Unsurprisingly,
> > swapping in a trivial allocator implementation that simply deferred to
> > malloc() and free() gave a huge improvement in performance -- about a
> > factor of 25x overall throughput.
>
> Could you try the patch Matt posted to the list and see if that helps? I think
> it probably will, but if it doesn't, I'll need to spend some time looking for
> the other dragons.

For some reason, I don't seem to be getting his emails to the list.
However, I'm pretty sure that it's the same patch he checked into our
mainline to fix our problem, so it should be fine :-).

-- Nathaniel

--
Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould