[Botan-devel] Botan 1.6.0 - debug build fails (VS2005)

Erik Loman erik at surfright.nl
Sat Dec 16 08:55:15 EST 2006

Hi Jack,

I've just downloaded Botan 1.6.0 and tried to compile it using Visual Studio
2005 (Professional) and I still get the same error (mem_pool.cpp) when
compiling a debug build. I need a debug build in order to step through my
projects (12+). I want to use build 1.6 (or 1.5) but I can't get them to
compile a debug build.

I edited the following line in the makefile (which was created with "perl
configure.pl msvc-windows-x86 --module-set=win32" ):

LANG_FLAGS = /EHsc /GR /D_CONSOLE /MDd /D_DEBUG

Notice that I simply added "/MDd /D_DEBUG". The /MDd is causing the problem
in mem_pool.cpp. Also trying to compile using /MTd results in the same
error.

I've attached the makefile to this e-mail so you can see for yourself. Also
in the zip file is the output from nmake.

On a side note: Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 is released (also for
Express editions). I've also tried compiling a debug Botan library with this
service pack installed, but that also fails.

Please help.

Best regards,
Erik Loman