[Botan-devel] botan and gpg confusion

Philipp Klaus Krause pkk at spth.de
Tue Jan 2 16:23:06 EST 2007

How do botan and gpg interoperate?
I've compiled and executed the dsa_kgen example.
When I try to import the generated files into gpg I get
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0
Is it possible to load keys exported from gpg into botan?
What is this strange X.509 public key format, which it seems is
exclusive to botan and libcryptc++ (a google search for X.509 public key
format gives only 6 hits, everyone seems to use X.509 certificates).
What about private keys? I can't find much info about the gpg's export
file formats, I suppose they're gpg specific, with the exception of PKCS
#12 maybe, but botan supports only PKCS #8.

This is the first time I look at public-key cryptography
implementations, I don't know much about the standards here.

Philipp