[Botan-devel] InSiTo project

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Tue Jul 1 23:50:21 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 05:48:56PM +0200, Falko Strenzke wrote:

> The changes encompass the implementation of further cryptographic schemes
> (mostly two new PRNGs and EC-based cryptography), some API changes (mostly
> due to the consistent use of smartpointers everywhere), and the
> implementation of a rather unusual type of certificates (a certain type of
> card verifiable certificates for passports). Jack Lloyd and us agreed on
> merging some of these changes into the main release of Botan, and some
> (like the smart pointer modifications) into a special branch. The basic

In this regard: I am slowly (much slower than I would like, but I
unfortunately have relatively little time to work on Botan right now,
only a handful of hours a week typically) working on merging the code
in.  This will be very much a cherrypick operation; to start with I'm
just merging in some of the new number-theoretic functions, firstly
because they are self-contained and easy to test, and secondly because
most of them are used in the implementation of ECDSA, which seems like
it would be the most widely-desired feature added by InSiTo. But
eventually also Blum-Blum-Shub, probably the Card Verificable
Certificates, and probably some of other features that have been added
will be released in the normal Botan versions.

Falko mentioned to me that there is some possibility that they will be
able to provide some man-hours in helping with merging, however if
anyone out there is interested in assisting I would certainly
appreciate the help.