[Botan-devel] botan 1.8.0 release schedule. 1.7.22 is 1.8.0 RC1

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Mon Nov 17 14:57:14 EST 2008

Things feel about right for spinning a stable 1.8 release series off
of mainline. There is a lot of stuff that would have been nice to get
to in this cycle, but based on my personal schedule coming up I think
it is best to pull the trigger and ship.

I retroactively declare 1.7.22 to be botan 1.8.0 release candidate #1.

Currently I'm planning on releasing 1.7.23 aka 1.8.0 RC2 in early
December, followed a week or two after that by either RC3 or 1.8.0, as
needed.

One minor yet major change that has happened on mainline and will be
in 1.7.23: by default, if configuring to build with GNU C++ or Intel
C++, TR1 will be assumed. This can easily be disabled by passing
--with-tr1=none to configure.pl, but it has the effect that on many
systems ECDSA will be built by default. So to effectively see the
release candidate state, either enable tr1 explicitly using
--with-tr1=system, or get nrb head from
http://viewmtn.angrygoats.net/all/revision/tar/6314074a37ecc8fae13b676401c8f70ce847fd89
(tar file to current revision) which already has the changes for this
which will appear in 1.7.23 (the remainder of the changes expected in
1.7.23 are test/documentation updates, nothing API changing).

The improvements made between 1.6 and 1.8 are numerous, the headliners being

 - Added ECDSA and ECDH over GF(p)
 - Added card verifiable certificates
 - Added SSE2 implementation of SHA-1
 - Performance improvements for BigInt, AES, Turing, 3DES, Blowfish, HMAC
 - Added SHA-224, CBC-MAC, Noekeon, Salsa20, and HMAC-KDF PRNG
 - Added support for IPv4 addresses in certificate subject alternative names
 - Made build and source tree modular (can disable individual algorithms)
 - Many changes to improve concurrency and thread-safety
 - Added algorithm provider selection logic and microbenchmark system
 - FIPS 186-3 DSA parameter generation (allows DSA keys larger than 1024 bits)

I'm pleased to be able to acknowedge many contributions made through
the 1.7 series by Yves Jerschow (IPv4 address in certificates, HMAC
optimizations, byteswap assembly code), Dean Gaudet (his public domain
SSE2 code for SHA-1), Luca Piccarreta (extensive x86 assembly code for
BigInt), and the InSiTo team from FlexSecure GmbH and Technische
Universitat Darmstadt: Falko Strenzke, Martin Doering, Manuel Hartl,
Christoph Ludwig, and Patrick Sona (ECDSA/ECDH, card verifiable
cerificates, and many other improvments).

Build and test results, comments on changed APIs, patches, and
envelopes full of currency would all be most welcomed.

Thanks,