[Botan-devel] Modularisation and other changes

Joel Low joel at joelsplace.sg
Wed Oct 1 01:55:10 EDT 2008

Hey,

Well.. __declspec(dllimport) tells the compiler the definition is in a
DLL. __declspec(dllexport) tells the compiler to make the definition
available to other programs. So, it should be defined as
__declspec(dllimport) (since it is a fallback); AND in the makefile, we
must define the pre-processor symbol BOTAN_DLL to be
__declspec(Dllexport), to overwrite the defaults.

Sorry, it's kinda confusing, but doing this allows users to just
#include <botan/botan.h> and it'll work as expected... We could also use
the Boost autolinking bits and use #pragma comment in future, if you're
interested.

> Yes, InSiTo (whence comes the ECC/GF(p) code) uses tr1. I removed
> almost all of the tr1 uses but some remain in the GF(p) math. I plan
> to remove them prior all to the next release, but they are indeed
> there for the moment. I'm actually a bit torn about that because
> shared_ptr would be a very handy thing to have generally.
>
> As to the implementation, Boost TR1
> (http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_36_0/doc/html/boost_tr1.html) should
> work as a replacement. The only thing that is being used (AFAIK) is
> shared_ptr.

[Joel Low] Yes I tend to agree on that. Hmm. Is boost too large a
dependency to ask for?

Regards,
Joel