[Botan-devel] Using tr1/memory

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Wed Oct 1 08:49:47 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 01:55:10PM +0800, Joel Low wrote:

> [Joel Low] Yes I tend to agree on that. Hmm. Is boost too large a
> dependency to ask for?

I'm not sure. I asked about using TR1 in May:
http://lists.randombit.net/pipermail/botan-devel/2008-May/000551.html

You were the only person who replied. I'm not sure if that means
nobody cares at all about a TR1 dep, or nobody noticed the mail.

I would rather not rely on Boost. It is a fine library, but TR1
includes most of the Boost libs that are obviously immediately useful
in Botan (shared_ptr, function/bind, tuple, hash tables, regex), and
the advantage of TR1 is it works out of the box, at least on some
compilers. And unlike Boost, TR1 is going more or less unchanged into
C++0x, which is the obvious path forward.