[Botan-devel] New branch net.randombit.botan.modularized

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Wed Oct 1 12:38:47 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:41:37PM -0400, Jack Lloyd wrote:

> Binary sizes for Botan shared object (libbotan-1.7.14.so) compiled on
> my Core2 (Linux/2.6, GCC 4.3.1), sizes using du -k:
>
> Configured with default modules:
>
> 1696 -Os stripped
> 1988 -Os
> 2268 -O2 stripped
> 2552 -O2
>
> Configured with SHA, AES, DSA, RSA, and a few other things but most algorithms removed using
>
> configure.pl --no-module=arc4,blowfish,cast,gost,idea,kasumi,lion,lubyrack,mars,misty1,noekeon,rc2,rc5,rc6,safer,salsa20,seed,serpent,skipjack,square,tea,turing,twofish,wid_wake,xtea,fork256,has160,md2,md4,md5,par_hash,rmd128,rmd160,tiger,whirlpool,cbc_mac,ssl3mac,x919_mac,openpgp,emsa2,adler32,crc24,crc32,pbes1,pbes2,cfb,cts,eax,ofb,tlsv1,sslv3,x942,pgps2k,pbkdf1,eme_pkcs,dlies,cbc,ctr,ecb,selftest,emsa_raw,des,egd,proc_walk,unix_procs,gettimeofday,posix_rt,cpu_counter,x931_rng,sha1_sse2,sha1_amd64,cmac,elgamal,nr,rw,cms,alloc_mmap,x509
>
> 904 -Os stripped
> 1076 -Os
> 1248 -O2 stripped
> 1416 -O2

This has improved quite a bit since 1.7.14. With what is currently
pretty much the minimal building/working configuration: (same system
as above)

516 -Os stripped
612 -Os
696 -O2 stripped
788 -O2

which puts it right around 30% the size of the original. I'd like to
get the minimal build down to under 400 Kb of code space, but it
appears I have gotten most of the low hanging fruit; the final 100 Kb
might be harder than the first 1000.