[Botan-devel] Using tr1/memory

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Wed Oct 1 12:58:27 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:22:09PM +0800, Joel Low wrote:

> [Joel Low] I personally wouldn't mind a dependency on boost::tr1 because
> I think quite a few apps will use boost anyway; and also because the
> boost::tr1 library is a wrapper for the other boost components. In that
> sense, the tr1 wrapper should remain pretty much consistent. From what I
> know, compilers since VC2003 (VS 7.1) should be able to handle boost
> without issue.
>
> I must admit I've not been keeping up with C++0x and I'm not too sure
> which bits of tr1 is being used in the Botan code (or will be of use),
> but I think it would be good (both from a maintainability standpoint as
> well as a readability standpoint) that we can adopt tr1. What do you
> think? What are your reservations?

Nothing, currently, except shared_ptr (and that is only there because
of the partial merge of the InSiTo ECDSA code).

My primary reservation is simply in terms of adding another build
dependency. TR1 is pretty conservative thing to rely on, but I do
worry a bit that any additional dependencies will reduce the odds of
Botan being adopted into projects.