[Botan-devel] get_cipher change, 1.8 roadmap [was: library build]

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Thu Oct 2 12:04:39 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 01:48:16PM +0200, Markus Wanner wrote:

> Testing with the most recent botan revision (as of yesterday) worked
> just fine - and worked down to 1.7.8, as mentioned on the mailing list.
> For monotone head this is not an issue since that's at botan 1.7.12
> (since I've propagated from nvm.botan yesterday).

Can I ask - how much #ifdef'ing did you need to do on this?

I have reverted the change to get_cipher (n.r.b. head). add_algorithm
and retrieve_<type> still require a Library_State&. I'm not sure if
Monotone uses either of those.

> That does not really apply for development branches, where the API is
> known to change.

Yes I should make it clear generally that 1.7 is completely unstable,
basically the only limits to what might change are what I might decide
to do (limited only by time/energy/imagination) or whatever patches
people might send me. Hopefully any such changes are improvements, of
course, though who can say. Certainly I do feel/hope 1.7.15 is
significantly superior to, say, 1.4.12 (which I find was released
almost exactly 1000 days ago - what a difference), or even 1.6.5. My
feel roughly is that 1.7 is about halfway along to becoming the future
(bugfix only) 1.8.0. Off the top of my head, before 1.8.0 I'd like to

- Implement a full test suite for ECC, and merge the ECDSA/ECDH code
  more thouroughly in general
- Remove as much global/shared mutable state as possible
- Clean up engine implementation
- Merge InSiTo's timing attack countermeasures (as a build option)
- Merge InSiTo's doxygen header comments
- Merge InSiTo's implementation of Card Verifiable Certificates
- Remove tr1 dep from gfpmath


More information about the botan-devel mailing list