[Botan-devel] Python wrapper for Botan [was 1.8 roadmap]

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Thu Oct 2 13:40:57 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 12:04:39PM -0400, Jack Lloyd wrote:
> (bugfix only) 1.8.0. Off the top of my head, before 1.8.0 I'd like to
[...]

And another one that occured to me:

It would be great to have a good Python wrapper available for Botan
with the 1.8.0 release.

The current Boost.Python wrappers (wrappers/boost-python) have enough
support for X509_Certificate and other classes that it is possible to
run the NIST X.509 certificate validation test suite
(wrappers/boost-python/nisttest.py).  The C++ version of the tests is
several times longer than the Python, and much uglier.

One idea I had was for a python wrapper providing a
pycrypto-compatible API on top of Botan. Botan implements every
algorithm in pycrypto except a variant of Rivest's chaffing, and qNEW,
which appears to be some sort of public key algorithm (I have never
heard of it and Google is useless). And a Botan wrapper could provide
other algorithms (the obvious ones being Diffie-Hellman, ECDSA,
SHA-512, Whirlpool, Serpent, Twofish, Noekeon, Salsa20, and CMAC)
using the same interfaces as pycrypto so code using pycrypto could
interoperate. This would potentially allow Botan to be adopted by
current pycrypto-using projects.

(If someone is looking to learn SWIG or Boost.Python, this might be a
fun project)