[Botan-devel] Failing RSA and ElGamal tests on most platforms in 1.7.10+ (was A question about the Debian builds of Botan)

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Tue Sep 16 08:45:48 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 03:24:23PM -0400, Jack Lloyd wrote:
> [CC'ing botan-devel, this is an interesting bug in BigInt in 1.7.10 onwards]
>
> Background for botan-devel: I asked Daniel Baumann, who maintains the
> Debian package of Botan, to enable the test suite (previously, it was
> built, but not run). It turns out RSA, RW, and a few other tests were
> failing on most machines (everything Debian has except x86, x86-64,
> and m68k). See the build reports at
> http://buildd.debian.org/pkg.cgi?pkg=botan-devel, for instance
> PowerPC (http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=botan-devel;ver=1.7.11-1;arch=powerpc;stamp=1221395045)

I asked the Debian maintainer to apply a patch disabling the cache,
and all tests started passing on all platforms again. I still have no
idea why it is failing but after blowing a whole day on trying to find
out why the cache works on x86-64 but not ppc64 I reverted the whole
BigInt::Rep class including the sig_words cache. It is not worth this
much time for me (though if someone wants to tell me why it works on
some systems but not others, please clue me in!)