[Botan-devel] Small file ciphering speed

Mr Diggilin mr.diggilin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 03:01:12 EDT 2008

Looks like I have enough information to work with for now. I'm going to
get coding.

On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 23:04 -0400, Jack Lloyd wrote:
> Yes, a deficiency of the benchmark prog (if you edit checks/algos.cpp
> you can add it). Scaling as with AES-128 vs Twofish ECB, one would
> expect Twofish/EAX at about 6.4 MiB/s on that machine. The numbers you
> printed seem plausible, though somewhat surprisingly slow (you may
> want to make sure your clock speed is actually increasing while you
> are running this operation - maybe it stays throttled? I noticed in
> your /proc/cpuinfo, your cores were running at 1 GHz)

Yes, I noticed that too, and I was short on time and so didn't note it.
Dell Inc seems to take great pleasure in shipping faulty batteries and
power adapters, and then torturing you for it. They have their special
proprietary power adapter that seems to give some kind of data signal to
your computer. When that signal is missing it's no longer recognized as
a Dell adapter, and to show you how much they love you they tell you
after the bios loads on boot that "your computer will run slower".
Apparently this is what they mean, I've always suspected it. The worst
part is that it is indeed the original adapter, just one day it came up
with that. Someday I'll be rich enough to ditch this junk..

> > Taking note of this, I will be combining all the encrypted fields in the
> > database into one and splitting them. Perhaps I will gain some speed
> > like that, but that remains to be seen.
>
> Definitely a tradeoff. It would depend on how often you sync. If you
> often just want to update one record, having to reencrypt the entire
> db seems pretty expensive.

Yikes, that's not what I meant. I meant that I have several columns that
I want encrypted. Given columns "id", "fun", "stuff", "good", "things",
I want to have the contents of "stuff" and "good" encrypted. Instead of
encrypting them individually, I'll combine them into "goodstuff" and
split and combine the contents in the program. What remains to be seen
is if my splitting and combining it in the program will take just as
much time as ciphering separately.