[Botan-devel] SQLite3 encryption codec with Botan

Mr Diggilin mr.diggilin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 21:51:21 EDT 2009

Thank you again for the detailed explanation, seems pretty clear now.
The only thing I'm left wondering is the first question I had about
deriving the key. Should I be using a PBKDF? If so, how should it be
salted? Also, is the page number (or something based of the page number
perhaps?) a good choice for an IV?

> Bad news: I may not have much time to look at this for a while (maybe
> later this week, but if not this week, then probably not this month).
> If you would like to have a try at writing XTS before I have a chance,
> I did find there is an implementation in libtomcrypt 1.17. I have no
> idea if it is correct, but the IEEE P1619 website lists it as a
> reference implementation, which sounds promising.

I toyed with the idea of giving it a shot, but not only will it take me
a month just to get a working implementation, but it'll probably be dead
wrong ;).
For now I figure I'll get the codec working with some other mode so that
everything is ready, then XTS can simply be dropped in when it's ready.

Thanks,
-Oli D.