[Botan-devel] Using Botan for encryption/decryption

Bala Narasimhan balasn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 19:26:49 EDT 2009

Thank you.

This makes sense.

Is key management always something the user needs to do in order to use
Botan?

Are there ways to have Botan deal with key management and related issues
and  have the user simply call into an interface to encrypt a buffer using a
specified algorithm [same for decrypt]?

I would like to offload key management to Botan if possible.

-Bala

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Jack Lloyd <lloyd at randombit.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 03:44:36PM -0700, Bala Narasimhan wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am new to Botan and this mailing list. My goal is enable an application
> > have to encrypt/decrypt buffers of memory using Botan.
> >
> > The buffers may be of arbitrary size.
> >
> > Based on reading the documentation, I assume I need to use a streaming
> > cipher (as opposed to a block cipher.)
> >
> > Is this correct?
>
> Somewhat, but not quite.
>
> Block ciphers at their most basic can only encrypt fixed size blocks,
> so for example one can encrypt 128 bits (16 bytes) at a time using
> AES. However there are methods of using block ciphers (called modes)
> which allow encrypting arbitrary lengths of data. Some of these, like
> CBC mode, require that the data be padded to a multiple of the block
> size, and others, such as counter mode, do not and can encrypt any
> arbirary length plaintext to a ciphertext of identical size.
>
> > Can someone give me an example of how to enable a streaming cipher on a
> > buffer of memory?
>
> One example that demonstrates this is
>  http://botan.randombit.net/examples/row_encryptor.cpp
>
> Hope this helps,