[Botan-devel] Raw RSA

Rickard Bellgrim rickard.bellgrim at iis.se
Sun Apr 11 02:59:20 EDT 2010

Hi

I got a request to implement CKM_RSA_X_509 for signing in SoftHSM.  CKM_RSA_X_509 is raw RSA. I currently use the PK_Signer for my signing operations, but with different EMSA depending on the algorithm.

E.g:
CKM_SHA512_RSA_PKCS => EMSA3(SHA_512)
CKM_RSA_PKCS => EMSA3_Raw

CKM_RSA_X_509 => EMSA_Raw (?)

The good thing with this approach is that I do not have to do anything with the incoming data, just pass it directly to this object. I thought that it was as simple as just using the EMSA_Raw for the CKM_RSA_X_509. But I do not get the same result as with OpenSSL.

openssl rsautl -sign -in file.txt -out file.txt.sig -inkey rsa.pem -raw

Is there something more I have to do to get the raw RSA signing working? The data that I get is a byte string.

// Rickard