[Botan-devel] Segfault in current Debian unstable

Rickard Bellgrim rickard.bellgrim at iis.se
Fri Jan 22 10:19:36 EST 2010

> It's a bug in botan, but one that only comes up because of SoftHSMs
> usage pattern, thus it never being caught before.
>
> It looks like (at least in checks.cpp), the library is repeatedly
> initialized and then shut down.

The test performed by checks.c are not normal user behavior, just so you know. It was to see that SoftHSM performs correctly according to PKCS#11. So in most cases where you use SoftHSM, you will never see this bug.

> I've attached a patch for 1.8.8 - can you test?

The patch did not break anything for me. Both the checks by SoftHSM and Botan passes on Ubuntu 8.04. And OpenDNSSEC can successfully sign a zone. But I cannot test it on Debian, so it is up to Ondřej to verify that it fixed the problem.

> Ironically, just yesterday I told someone I was not planning on doing
> any more 1.8 releases unless a 'real showstopper bug' showed up. I
> should know when I'm tempting fate.

Hopefully this was the last one :)

Thanks
// Rickard