[Botan-devel] Building the Python wrappers on Windows

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Wed Jul 7 08:06:25 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 11:43:59AM +0200, Olaf Beckman Laprrr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've successfully built the Botan library on Windows using the
> Visual C++ compiler and tried next to build the Python
> wrappers. However, the Python wrappers can only be build using a
> Unix makefile, so I tried installing MinGW and MSYS to try and build
> it. During setup of MSYS it asked me to specify the directory where
> MinGW was installed but when it can't find the compiler when I run
> 'g++' in MSYS.
>
> Has anyone built the Python wrappers on Windows?

I have not, and have not heard any reports from anyone who has.

Probably the easiest approach, rather than trying to compile with
MinGW/MSYS, is to just take the generated Makefile.python and hack it
into submission for something nmake/VC will accept.

I actually don't think this will take that much - just setting the
path variables to point to the correct directory for the Python
install, and changing the compiler invocation flags (especially for
link).

-J