[Botan-devel] Concise MSVS Build Instructions?

larry_lindstrom at comcast.net larry_lindstrom at comcast.net
Thu Jun 3 09:47:49 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Lloyd" <lloyd at randombit.net>

< Snip >

> Double definition errors like this are almost always due to using
> different C++ runtime libraries between the library and some other
> application. It doesn't particularly matter which one you use, but
> they must be the same or it doesn't work. A basic rundown of the
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/abx4dbyh%28VS.80%29.aspx

Thanks again Jack:

How do I specify flags for the configure script, "CFLAGS =".?

The four types of builds I need are release, debug, 32 bit and 64 bit. I'm not sure what specify these choices to the script.

>> Should I expect to see a DLL after running this script? I searched,
>> and found no DLLs in the Botan folder. There is a file at >
>> src/build-data/cc/msvc.txt that looks like it might be providing
>> some direction on building a DLL, but I don't know Python, or nmake,
>> so I don't know if I need to do something with this file.

> No, not in 1.8 currently. In 1.9 a DLL is built by default (unless you
> use --disable-shared). This hasn't been backported to 1.8 yet, though.
> The msvc.txt file is read by configure.py

> I'm getting the sense that 1.8 is maybe actually somewhat broken on
> Windows right now, with some half-finished DLL work that I never got
> around to backporting. Since there is no reason to set
> declspec(dllexport) in a static build...

The site refers to 1.8.8 as the current stable release. I'm not doing anything exotic, AES, SHA 256, Fortuna, PKCS 5 algorithm 2 to process salted keys. Should I be using 1.9.7, or some earlier 1.9, in a production environment?

Thanks
Larry