[Botan-devel] Concise MSVS Build Instructions?

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Thu Jun 3 10:38:15 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 01:47:49PM +0000, larry_lindstrom at comcast.net wrote:
> How do I specify flags for the configure script, "CFLAGS =".?
>
> The four types of builds I need are release, debug, 32 bit and 64 bit. I'm not sure what specify these choices to the script.

You should be able to get these with

debug vs release: --enable-debug / --disable-debug (--disable being the default)

32 bit vs 64 bit: --cpu=i386 vs --cpu=amd64

(You could also use --cpu=i686 for 32-bit if you're willing to assume
nobody is running Windows on a 486/Pentium anymore for somewhat better
optimizations).

> The site refers to 1.8.8 as the current stable release. I'm not
> doing anything exotic, AES, SHA 256, Fortuna, PKCS 5 algorithm 2 to
> process salted keys. Should I be using 1.9.7, or some earlier 1.9,
> in a production environment?

Stability in this sense is somewhat more referring to API/ABI
stability than anything else; it's basically a branch that only gets
bugfixes and no major new development work (though occasionally new
features do get backported from mainline if they are not going to
affect existing code). And, sad to say, Windows is rather a
second-class citizen for development right now; I use Linux/Unix
almost exclusively so Windows only gets sporadic love from me, and
occasional patches sent by users.

1.9.7 may well be totally fine for new work (depending on your
deployment constraints, etc); it's unstable only in the sense that
APIs may change between 1.9.7 and 1.10, and ABIs are nearly certain to
change. Also if you're only doing relatively straightforward things, I
don't think there are many API changes at all in 1.9.x vs 1.8 (though
many ABI and internals changes), so you could if desired write your
code using 1.9 and then downgrade to 1.8.9 when that is released with
fixes for the windows build.

I'll definitely take a look at these Windows issues when I have a
chance (and things really are overdue for a new 1.8 release in any
case), but my schedule is very full right now so I can't guarantee
when I'll have time to do so.