[Botan-devel] Please test: 1.8.9-rc1

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Sun Jun 13 10:49:11 EDT 2010

I've put up a tarball of a release candidate for Botan 1.8.9.

http://files.randombit.net/botan/misc/Botan-1.8.9-rc1.tgz

Please test it and let me know if it builds/works for you or not.
Build reports of any kind are always useful, so I (and others) know
what has or has not been tested.
  Current build log: http://botan.randombit.net/builds.html

In the absence of any bug reports or other problems being discovered,
I'm planning on releasing 1.8.9 this Wednesday, June 16.

-Jack

Notable changes in this release:

Security issues
---------------
 - A possible timing attack against OAEP decoding was removed.

Bugs fixed
---------------
 - You couldn't use the DSA kosherizer to create DSA groups that had
   512 or 768 bit p values. Not that using a 512 or 768 bit (or 1024
   bit, for that matter) DSA key is a particularly good idea anymore.

 - GMP_Engine would crash if the library was initialized then shutdown
   and reinitialized and a PK algorithm was used after the second init.

Build changes, portability issues
---------------
 - The Perl build script has been deprecated for about a year now. At
   this point, I do not plan on doing any further work on it, even
   fixing bugs, and I'm not testing it at all. With this release,
   configure.pl refuses to run by default; you have to pass
   --i-know-this-is-broken before it will continue.

   If there is any reason you are still using configure.pl rather than
   configure.py, please let me know so I can fix/add whatever it is in
   configure.py.

 - On Windows, a DLL is now built by default. You can build a static
   library instead using --disable-shared.

   Note: I have only tested Windows 7 x64 with VC++ 2008. If you
   compile anywhere else or with a different VC, let me know if it
   works and I'll note it in the build log. Botan should still work
   with 2003 or 2005. I have not tested with 2010, either.

 - Backported support for using InnoSetup
   (http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php) to package botan. I plan on
   offering 32 and 64 bit binaries for Windows for 1.8.9 and hopefully
   for future stable releases.

 - The secmem.h header had a problem that prevented it from being
   usable out of the box with Clang and (reported, but I could not
   reproduce) on some versions of GCC.

 - Support for Clang (http://clang.llvm.org/) as a build compiler has
   been added, backported from 1.9. I haven't actually tested 1.8.9
   with Clang, however.

 - The x86-64 SHA-1 assembly had some small incompatabilities with
   recent versions of GNU binutils.