[Botan-devel] GOST-34.10 is broken in 1.9.4, ECC improvements, new crypto list

James Mansion james at mansionfamily.plus.com
Mon Mar 15 15:46:03 EDT 2010

Jack Lloyd wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 08:27:17AM +0000, James Mansion wrote:
>

>> Is it feasible to delegate some implementations at runtime so that the
>> fastest ones can be used?  Presumably if there were faster code in crypto++
>> it could be borrowed, even if the OpenSSL or GNUTLS one could not?
>>

> Yes, there is already support for calling GNU MP and OpenSSL's BN for
> RSA, DH, and DSA - can't incorporate code from either due to
> licensing, but there is no reason the library can't call out to them
> in cases where it is availble. (This was originally written to support
> hardware, but calling to other software interfaces actually seems more
> useful most of the time).

OK - and crypto++ - do you have all its assembler already?

Presumably you could defer to the built-in crypto on Windows?

> Yeah being able to use it with asio or other event-driven libraries seems
> the biggest win for this change. No ETA, though. When it's ready. Sooner,
> if you help. :)

Ha - I'd been hoping you'd do that while I struggled to figure out sspi
on Windows. I had a
backup plan to use coroutines and bsd polarssl too. I'm a noob at the
security stuff tho and
have yet to do more than point waf at botan anyway - so I don't feel
confident. I could be
efficient at it.

James