[Botan-devel] Botan CVC certificates help

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Wed Mar 17 13:00:58 EDT 2010

CC'ing botan-devel

(gigi, you'll need to subscribe to the list before you can post here)

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:47:33AM +0100, gigi radio wrote:
> Hi!I just discovered botan and I recently built the latest stable release
> (1.8.8), compiled with visual studio 2008 professional (with cvc module
> enabled).
> The build process works fine, but when I try to create a CVC self-signed
> certificate (using CVC_EAC::create_self_signed_cert function ) I obtain the
> following exception:
[...]

> Any idea on how to fix these lines of code in order to create the
> certificate?
> Thanks in advance for your help.

The merge of CVC code in Botan 1.8 was incomplete (obviously); after I
realized this I stopped advertising CVC support on the web site. :)

I added the EAC key encoding code from InSiTo in version 1.9.4

However there are still numerous bugs/problems with the code, and (if
you enable the tests by uncommenting the line in checks.cpp), you'll
see even the simple tests fail.

I am not sure how serious these bugs are.

I am not sure when I'll have time to look at the code further; the day
job calls.

I have not heard from the folks at FlexSecure (who originally wrote
the CVC code) in quite a while, and am unsure if they will want to or
are able to take a look at the problems.

If you want to help, I'd recommend checking out the very latest
codebase with monotone [1] (or at least use the latest snapshot [2]),
and then comparing that code's behavior with InSiTo [3]. The BSI
guidelines for passports might be helpful [4]. I'd be happy to help
you as much as I can.

If you need CVC today, it appears that EJBCA [5] supports it.

Sorry for the likely unsatisfactory answer.

Regards,
  Jack

[1]: http://botan.randombit.net/monotone.html
[2]: http://botan.randombit.net/snapshot