[Botan-devel] Problem building 1.9.7

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Tue May 4 12:06:02 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 05:02:30PM +0200, Rickard Bellgrim wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have some problems building Botan 1.9.7

[...]
> cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wmissing-declarations" is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++
> make: *** [build/lib/algo_factory.o] Error 1
>
> Ubuntu 8.04
> gcc version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu4)

This is due to using a large set of warning flags in the dev releases,
mostly for my use. -Wmissing-declarations was only supported for C++ in
4.3 and after IIRC, and then of course -Werror kills the build.

Disabling all of these warnings is easy (and probably I should try to
remember to do so when doing releases, or else add some sort of
--maintainer-mode build option). Edit src/build-data/cc/gcc.txt
and comment out the long warning_flags setting on line 15 and
perhaps uncomment the shorter one with just -W -Wall.