[Botan-devel] Missing classes in 1.9.7

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Mon May 10 10:46:56 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:25:55AM +0200, Rickard Bellgrim wrote:

> Have you done any performance measurements (signatures per second) with the new code? I am now experiencing a 66 % performance loss (from 300 to 100 sig/s on an old machine). I use the PK_Signer class for creating signatures.

I expect this is because of another change in 1.9.4 - newly generated
signatures are always verified as a countermeasure against fault
injection attacks. PK_Signer's constructor takes an extra enum of type
Fault_Protection. It defaults to ENABLE_FAULT_PROTECTION; if you pass
DISABLE_FAULT_PROTECTION it will skip the signature verification.  The
code varies based on the algorithm; ECDSA and DSA tends to take the
biggest hit because signing is faster than verification in those
algorithms, wheras it's hardly noticable with RSA or Rabin-Williams
(which have always had this countermeasure enabled).