[Botan-devel] configure: mingw compilation

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Tue May 11 18:11:26 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 11:08:58PM +0200, Zbigniew Zag??rski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For some time botan doesn't build correctly in MinGW environment.
>
> First, currently build script cannot setup correct DLL build.
> --disable-shared works, How shall can i instruct "configure.py" and
> it's friends that on mingw DLL build is not possible ?

This is currently not supported/broken; there was some vestigal
entries in the os info files for this but configure wasn't respecting
it. I've attached a patch that should disable DLL builds on MinGW (and
also Cygwin, where AFAIK they are similiarly broken). [Specifically,
disabling on any OS that has 'build_shared no' set in its info file].

> Second, "make install" doesn't work because all paths in generated
> makefile use \ as path separator. In some cases it works, in some not.
>
> Currently at least "docs" can't be installed because of following error:
[...]
> I know it's rather ugly solution but at least it solves the problem -
> make & make install
>
> (patch: botan-configure-on-mingw-fix.patch )

Thanks. I'll take a look at this one on my Windows install and see how
it behaves for me.

> Third: MSVC is selected blindly on windows even if gcc is on PATH and cl not.
>
> Second patch, correctly (IMHO) chooses between MSVC and GCC on
> windows: if cl.exe is on path, selects "msvc", if g++.exe is on path
> selects "gcc" otherwise defaults to "msvc".
>
> (patch: botan-correcly-detect-mingw2.patch)

Looks good, applied to tree.

Would you like an entry in credits.txt? If so, send me the info.