[Botan-devel] Problems building Botan-1.9.7

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Wed May 26 11:50:17 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 05:43:55PM +0200, Bud P. Bruegger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just came across Botan and it's python support and am excited.  I
> have problems building it however:
>
> after a longer list of errors of the same type the make ends with:
>
> src/block/des/des_tab.cpp:634: error: integer constant is too large for
> ???long??? type
>
> src/block/des/des_tab.cpp:634: error: integer constant is too large for
> ???long??? type make: ***
>
> [build/lib/des_tab.o] Error 1
> bud at bud-laptop:~/dev/botan/Botan-1.9.7$
>
> Any idea how to fix this?

In some versions of GCC, it will produce this warning on 32-bit
compiles (this was fixed in GCC 4.5). It's totally harmless, but a
number of the 1.9 releases have been made with the 'maintainer flags'
enabled, which includes -Werror, turning all warnings, including this
one, into errors.

Simply editing the makefile and removing -Werror should do the trick.

It's also possible the configure script did not detect that it should
have used -fpermissive with your compiler. (It should have printed a
message about this when it ran). If that is the case, you can run it
with the evocative though poorly named --dumb-gcc option.