[botan-devel] botan and sun4u

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Apr 29 10:12:00 EDT 2011

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Jack Lloyd wrote:

> > src/algo_factory/algo_factory.cpp:1: error: bad value (sun4u) for -mcpu=
> > switch
> > *** Error code 1
> > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `build/lib/algo_factory.o'
>
> The problem here is the build system translates names in <submodels>
> into -mcpu/-march like options for the compiler, and it didn't know
> what to do with sun4u. That's where the <submodel_aliases> blocks in
> the arch description files come in, they map various adhoc names onto
> the names that are formatted for easy translation into compiler
> options.
>
> What you almost certainly actually want is
>
> ./configure.py --cpu=sparc32-v9
>
> I've switched the sun4u alias I had added from sparc64 to sparc32-v9
> since it seems like at least half of people/distros on SPARC are still
> using 32 bit userspaces, and it's probably less confusing for the
> people using 64 bit userspaces that they have to configure with
> --cc=sparc64 to get a 64 bit binary than it is for people with 32 bit
> userspaces to have to add a special option to get a 32 bit binary.

Thanks for the info.  For my workaround, before I received this email, I
manually edited the Makefile and removed the -mcpu=sun4u (so not using
any mcpu switch).

> By the way, if you're just starting on new development, I'd recommend
> going with 1.9, since a new stable tree based on that is just around
> the corner (third and hopefully final release candiate coming out
> later this morning, with final release in May).

I did try using it, but our new code stopped compiling. Sorry I don't
think I saved the results or build logs. But I will look at this again
soon. We hope we can support multiple versions of Botan, since some of
our automated build systems only have botan 1.6.x or 1.7.x from their
standard package collections. Our code currently only works with 1.8.x
so we need to see how we can make it portable for 1.9 and others also.
(We have automated builds and tests with Sunstudio, Solaris, GCC,
FreeBSD, NetBSD, Debian, CentOS, Mac OS X, Clang++, and various
combinations of these.)

I will start a different thread about my Sunstudio issue.

  Jeremy C. Reed

echo 'EhZ[h ^jjf0%%h[[Zc[Z_W$d[j%Xeeai%ZW[ced#]dk#f[d]k_d%' | \