[botan-devel] specific version for botan-config and pkgconfig

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Fri Aug 26 10:21:11 EDT 2011

I would recommend testing for the specific versions you want to
support.  For instance pkg-config, using --exists to check for which
versions you care to support. This is a good idea because 1.8 and 1.10
are in fact not source compatible with each other, which is what the
change in minor numbers means. If you are willing to support either
1.8 or 1.10, check for both.

I think you can likely not safely rely on what exactly the pkg-config
or *-config files will be named from distro to distro or release to
release anyway, at least going by the comments in
  https://code.monotone.ca/p/monotone/source/tree/h:net.venge.monotone/m4/library.m4
(which is some m4 code for checking for semi-arbitrarily renamed
pkg-config files)

Splitting these by major versions was done to allow for Debian (and,
presumably, other distros, though I don't know if any of them are
doing so currently) to support parallel installation of 1.8 and 1.10.
Ie on a Debian system you might have 1.8, 1.10, or both installed.