[botan-devel] Error During make (can't build Botan)

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Fri Dec 2 10:24:25 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 09:52:16AM -0500, Brad Tilley wrote:

> No problem. I'm willing to apply and test patches on mingw as long as
> you're willing to send them. I applied the one you just sent to time.cpp.
> Slightly different error now:
>
> src\utils\time.cpp: In function 'tm Botan::<unnamed>::do_gmtime(time_t)':
> src\utils\time.cpp:61:4: error: '::gmtime_s' has not been declared
> make: *** [build\lib\utils_time.obj] Error 1

Ahah! Doing some actual thinking about it, I think gmtime_s doesn't
exist on MinGW's runtime. I didn't look that carefully at your
configure.py output but I see you didn't specify an explicit OS target
so it guessed Windows, which thus sets the macro for gmtime_s. Try
adding --os=mingw and see how it looks.

I've added a new check in configure.py that if no explicit --os target
is given, the the build is targetting GCC on Windows to print a
warning that probably you wanted either --os=cygwin or --os=mingw.
Unfortunately defaulting to either one would mean it was completely
wrong roughly half the time. :/