[botan-devel] Error During make (can't build Botan)

Brad Tilley brad at 16systems.com
Fri Dec 2 10:37:59 EST 2011

> On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 09:52:16AM -0500, Brad Tilley wrote:
>>
>> No problem. I'm willing to apply and test patches on mingw as long as
>> you're willing to send them. I applied the one you just sent to
>> time.cpp.
>> Slightly different error now:
>>
>> src\utils\time.cpp: In function 'tm
>> Botan::<unnamed>::do_gmtime(time_t)':
>> src\utils\time.cpp:61:4: error: '::gmtime_s' has not been declared
>> make: *** [build\lib\utils_time.obj] Error 1
>>

> Ahah! Doing some actual thinking about it, I think gmtime_s doesn't
> exist on MinGW's runtime. I didn't look that carefully at your
> configure.py output but I see you didn't specify an explicit OS target
> so it guessed Windows, which thus sets the macro for gmtime_s. Try
> adding --os=mingw and see how it looks.
>
> I've added a new check in configure.py that if no explicit --os target
> is given, the the build is targetting GCC on Windows to print a
> warning that probably you wanted either --os=cygwin or --os=mingw.
> Unfortunately defaulting to either one would mean it was completely
> wrong roughly half the time. :/
>
> -Jack

OK. 'make' finished when I configured with --os=mingw. I left the two
patches in place. You didn't want them removed, did you?

'make check' finished OK without errors.

'make install' failed with this error:

cp: target `builddocsmanual' is not a directory
make: *** [docs] Error 1

It seems the path dividers are stripped as there is indeed a
build/docs/manual

Brad