[botan-devel] Error Compiling Botan with VS2008 and unicode character project setting

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Tue Dec 13 09:03:56 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 08:58:02AM +0800, Joel Low wrote:

> I'm not too sure, but my inclination when dealing with such code is
> to convert the ANSI to Unicode and call the W version regardless,
> unless you're intending to target Win9x (which IIRC VS2008 does not
> support anyway -- what are the compilers supported by Botan, Jack?)

In theory VS 2003 and on are supported, though I only test regularly
with 2008/2010. I doubt I would do much to support Win9x though, I
think requiring at least 2000 is pretty reasonable at this point.

From the perspective of a Windows programmer would it make sense for a
function taking a std::string used as a filesystem name to assume it
is in UTF-8, convert to wide characters with MultiByteToWideChar and
call the W version?