[botan-devel] ARM/iOS SHA performance [Was: CRC32 intermediate state]

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Sun Jul 29 14:23:09 EDT 2012

Interesting, the iOS library hashes are really _10x_ the performance
of the C++ code in botan? I'm definitely intrigued by that, as, at
least for the ARM I have (an ARM926EJ), OpenSSL's asm SHA-1 and
SHA-256 are slower than Botan's C++ (12% and 40%, resp), so I figured
I was doing OK even lacking asm!

Is it possible the iPhone has physical SHA hardware? I could believe
careful asm (and NEON support, which I know the Cortex has but which
no ARM I have access to does) might provide even 2-3x speedup but 10x
is pretty crazy and I'm really wondering what I'm missing. If it
really is giving that speedup, a CommonCrypto engine (or some ARM asm
at least, if this is easy to replicate) would make a lot of sense.

-Jack