[botan-devel] RTTI problems with Botan

Christian Kandeler christian.kandeler at digia.com
Tue Oct 16 11:42:21 EDT 2012

Hi,

as a Botan user, I have been bitten recently by the problem described here:
     http://marcmutz.wordpress.com/2010/08/04/fun-with-exceptions/
The class declaration pattern shown in the link matches how Botan
defines pretty much all of its exceptions and quite a number of other
classes as well. As a result,
     a) my client code cannot catch exceptions thrown out of Botan and
     b) dynamic_casts in Botan fail for objects allocated in client code.
The results are disastrous, as one can imagine.
While I realize that this problem is probably due to rather poor
compiler/linker behavior, it is the current state e.g. on MacOs, where I
am observing the failures mentioned above. I therefore suggest adding
non-inline destructors to all exported polymorphic classes to be on the
safe side.

Regards,
Christian