[botan-devel] AES config

Alex Magalhaes alex.magalhaes at pixeon.com
Mon Feb 4 11:44:24 EST 2013

Hey guys,

I've been using Botan for a few months now and one of the things I use it
for is to encrypt some text using AES and then decrypting it later. I
include the header <botan/aes.h> and looks like this:

    Botan::AES_256 aes;

    aes.set_key(key,KEY_SIZE);

    const unsigned char* in = (unsigned char*)input.data();

    unsigned char* out = (unsigned char*)malloc(blockSize);

    aes.encrypt_n(in,out,input.size()/aes.block_size());

    for (int i = 0; i < blockSize; i++){

        output.append(out[i]);

    }

    free(out);

    return output;

So, key, input and output are byte arrays. My decrypt method looks
pretty much the same, except I call decrypt_n. It looks like this is
Botan's default AES implementation. And this implementation works fine
for me.

However, I have no idea about internal implementation of this
algorithm. What is its ciphe mode (ECB, CBC) ? Does it use IV? and so
on... Even though my implementation works properly, I'd like to know
this information.

Thank you.

--
Alex Magalhães
Bolsista de p&d

+55 48 3205 6000 | Florianópolis - SC
+55 11 2146 1300 | São Bernardo do Campo - SP
www.pixeon.com | www.medicalsystems.com.br

[image: Imagem inline 3]