[botan-devel] Moving to git?

Vojtech Kral vojtech at kral.hk
Wed Jan 2 11:31:49 EST 2013

Hi,
   as a newcomer/someone who sent one minor patch,
this question is somewhat relevant to me...
   I don't remember having much trouble with monotone,
although I did have to compile it because there wasn't
official package (in Arch Linux). The commands needed
were a bit quirky (from git user's point of view),
but I followed the tutorial and it wen't ok.

So, by and large, it wasn't too much trouble setting
it up, not something that would hold me from obtaining
the source, contributing, etc...

Having said that, I personally still think it's a good idea to
switch to git and maybe host the thing on github
(or hg+bitbucket, whatever). It might be beneficial, people
will be able to see the source very easily just in the browser, etc...

Just don't exprect miracles, I don't think there would be a sudden
and large increase in contributions... It's probably more of a
subtle and/or longterm think.

Whatever you do in the end, I wish you luck, botan is a great project
;-)

Best Regards,
Vojtech Kral