[botan-devel] build system feature request

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Tue Jan 29 13:06:15 EST 2013

I like this in concept.

When I rewrite the build script into python, one consideration was
making it possible for outside scripts to import botan's configure.py
and run the configuration in some specialized way. However I'm not
sure I want anything that is in configure.py right now to be a stable
API that I can't break, either. So a more limited interface that is
easier to keep for extended time, especially one that handles all the
easy cases where someone would want to hook into the build, seems
quite useful.

However it is hard for me to see how the information in this proposal
would allow actually compiling the list of sources, missing basic
things like the target compiler and etc. So while it might work for
your special case it doesn't seem too good beyond that.

An approach I think would be more promising in terms of being widely
applictable is cleaning up some of the data structures and pretty
printing them to a file. BuildConfigurationInformation already
captures most of what you are looking for (and much more), that plus
the selected target information, list of code modules, etc could all
be written as literals for import.

Ideally this file could even be reimported into configure.py to cause
it to exactly replicate that build configuration.