[botan-devel] Encrypt and decrypt data with ECDSA keys

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Mon Sep 2 11:11:16 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 05:38:09PM +0400, DimanNe wrote:
> Hello!
>
> How can I encrypt and decrypt data with ECDSA keys?

ECDSA does not support encryption. One option would be to use ECDSA to
authenticate an ephemeral ECDH key which is used for key agreement,
with the resulting shared key being used to encrypt the data.

> i got exception:
>
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Botan::Lookup_Error'
>   what():  PK_Decryptor_EME: No working engine for ECDSA

This error message is a little confusing, I've changed it so that in
the future an attempt to do this will say "Encryption with ECDSA not
supported" to more directly address the issue.